Monday, August 3, 2015

Summer

Summer is coming to an end, at least in no school terms.  For Florida, Summer is here for quite a few more months, well into what northerners call "Fall".

Carson had a great summer at Parkway camp, VBS and Young at Art.  There were a couple days that he didn't make it to camp and he was very upset.  He loved going, loved playing with his friends and doing all the fun activities.

Today, was a new day.  Today was Carson's first day of camp at his new elementary school. His elementary school holds a camp over the summer in 2 week sessions all summer long until school starts.  Geoff and I decided that it would help into his transition into Kindergarten to sign him up for the last session of the summer, so he'll have 2 weeks at his new school.

I was a nervous wreck, didn't sleep much last night.  I kept feeling like I was throwing him into the wolves, going from private school to public school.  A school where he was the big fish on campus, to now the little minnow, the baby, the youngest one.  The director told me they have 18 incoming kindergartners doing camp these 2 weeks, so I am hoping that he will make great friends and that maybe at least one of them will be in his kindergarten class when we find out in 3 weeks.

The drop off was ok.  Carson squeezed my hand as we walked in the school.  The director came out and took us both back to show us some things and then he was ready to take Carson with the other kids.  I felt that pinging in my chest, the lump in my throat, my eyes start to well up.  Carson gave me a big hug and I noticed he squeezed a little tighter.  He then told then director that he is going to be in elementary school and that he has never been in a lunch line.  Whew! The laughter from that quickly cleared up the tears, but only for a moment.  As I watched him walk away to go on this new adventure, I cried, tears down the cheeks and walked out of his new elementary school knowing that another milestone has been checked.  Kindergarten is next, a few weeks to go.  Hopefully Mommy and Carson will be ready, I'm thinking he will do great, its me on the other hand that is not ready to let go of my baby.

0 comments: